Monday, March 8, 2010

Tiger and Me!

In Matthew 5:27, we read, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ ”

In this passage Jesus is quoting Moses, who is quoting Jesus. Perhaps this is a little confusing but Jesus is God and Moses got commandments from God. These commandments state, "You shall not commit adultery” (Exodus 21:14) and "You shall not commit adultery” (Deuteronomy 5:18). Therefore, in reality, Jesus is quoting himself!

What you are about to read may upset you, yet I hope you will process God’s words. Whether we are discussing adultery or any other sin mentioned in Exodus 20, two key factors must be processed.

The first factor is that without a Biblical worldview, one might wonder why adultery is wrong. If we are a product of evolution, where does any other ethic come from if not from oneself? Through that lens, what Tiger Woods did would not only be OK, it would be good because it was good for Tiger.

Many in our culture continue to distance our nation from her Judeo-Christian roots, yet our entire system of laws and morality are built upon the ethics of the Biblical text. Are Tiger’s actions wrong or right? This question can only be answered properly based on a moral absolute.

Our second factor is the issue of addiction. The term turns everyone into a victim, as though no one is ever responsible for his or her own behavior. Did anyone force Tiger to be unfaithful? Did anyone ever force you to drink, do drugs, or abuse? I do understand that some grew up in more difficult circumstances than others, but we are still missing the key ingredient in all our problems. This ingredient is what God calls SIN!

Romans 3:23 tells us that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Meanwhile, in Romans 6:23, we read that “the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

The word "sin" implies missing the mark. What mark? God’s mark! Therefore, our surrender to Jesus and repentance is the only hope for wholeness. I am wrong. I have sinned. I am not the victim. I am the guilty party. Sin has wreaked havoc in all of our lives, but the issue is not to analyze my culture but my own choices.

Jesus gently made this statement to a woman caught in adultery that is detailed in John 8:10-11. “Jesus straightened up and asked her, Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you? No one, sir, she said. Then neither do I condemn you, Jesus declared. Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Albert Pujols, superstar athlete and St. Louis Cardinal, said it best. “As a Christian, I am called to live a holy life. My standard for living is set by God, not by the world. I am responsible for growing and sharing the gospel.” Pujols’ words were spoken at Manly Night, an annual evangelistic event held in January in a St. Louis, Missouri, high school. In his message, he added, “I can’t think of a greater place to celebrate my 30th birthday than with you guys, sharing my heart and lifting up the kingdom of Jesus.”

The three-time National League MVP said he prefers to live his life for Christ, not for himself. “It would be easy to go out and do whatever I want, but those things only satisfy the flesh for a moment. Jesus satisfies my soul forever.”

No comments: