Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Book of Acts is Still Alive

I received a report from a missionary, David Giles. He wrote about his time on the Ethiopian mission field and about the legacy established by his father, Ray. The elder Giles, a longtime Ethiopian missionary, is battling cancer but responding well to treatment.

Since I just got back from Ethiopia I thought I would add a note about that trip. The promise that Jesus made to the disciples that "whoever leaves home and family for my sake will receive 100 times in this life and the life to come" was proven true. Everywhere I went, whether among the Ethiopian believers or the missionary community, I heard of prayers lifted up for my Dad's health. I saw Ethiopian believers weep when they spoke of his illness and the impact that my parents have had on their lives. It was a blessing to be reminded again of the fruit of their ministry.

The seed sown continues to grow and multiply. While I was in Ethiopia I attended a meeting of the church leaders for both the Oromo and the Gumuz. I asked, “There are 35 churches among the Oromo, right?” based upon the last numbers I had received. “No,” they replied, “there are 54.” They shared about the churches and daughter churches.

On the way back into Addis Ababa from down country, I decided to pass through Nekemte, the regional capital, and attend our church there. I had heard that it was full to overflowing and our missionaries and church leaders have plans to expand our facilities there. Church went quite well, and as they said, it was full to overflowing with about 40-50 having to sit outside (about 200 total). There were many university students present as well, as Nekemte has a number of universities.

One thing that is really taking off in Ethiopia is that each church really wants to have a sound system with a loudspeaker and keyboard. No one really knows how to play it, but it is the center of attention, much like the Coke bottle in the movie, “The Gods Must Be Crazy.” On this particular Sunday the keyboard was blaring along with the rest of the sound system. Thanks be to Jesus that the power went out halfway through and the loudspeaker and keyboard would not work. A young man got up with a kerar (traditional Ethiopian guitar) and sang and led worship. It was beautiful. I think keyboards will win the day for a while, but I was sure glad to be able to experience the more traditional worship.

After the service, I was visiting with Negatu, the key leader of the church. I told him I was impressed with the service. He said, "It was your father’s vision to have a church in Nekemte. He helped us get this property and plant the church here. We have him to thank for what we see today."

No comments: