Monday, June 8, 2009

Lessons from a very special camp

Dawn Dawson, a member of the Tomoka Christian family, ministers to developmentally disabled people in this area. She recently sent a note of thanks to Tomoka for a financial gift that funded scholarships for a recent very special Christian camp.

Over 200 developmentally disabled adults attended Special Gathering’s Camp Agape this year. It humbled me to observe some of the conversations that took place, and I was faced with the reality of how complicated we make things.

Two men were participating in arts and crafts when one asked the other if he “really had Jesus in his heart.” The other said “Yep, I sure do.” His friend asked him, “How do you really know you have him on the inside?” His friend answered, “Well, I just feel Him moving around in there all the time!”

Camp Agape is safe haven for our campers and we want to provide an environment full of fun activities, but primarily instill the knowledge and gift of Jesus Christ. One of the speakers this year said, “Jesus Christ is like an American Express — just don’t leave camp without Him!” We were there to teach, but we were the ones who were taught.

After this weekend, I will never again worry about what anyone thinks as I pray, or as I worship. Also, the next time I share Jesus with someone I will simply ask, “Do you have Jesus in your heart? How do you really know you have Him inside?”

Thank you for placing me in this ministry. If this door had never opened, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be taught in such a special way. I sincerely thank the Tomoka Christian Church family for graciously providing finances for our Camp Agape scholarship fund. Due to economic circumstances, the companies that provide camp funds had been forced to cut back an enormous amount of their giving. Your financial support makes an eternal difference!
Note: Dawn teaches a special needs class for all ages each week during the 5 p.m. service in the Family Life Center at Tomoka Christian. E-mail Dawn.

No comments: